Texas Historical Commission
Reports to the Information Resources Manager (IRM). Performs highly complex computer programming work for the Texas Historical Commission (THC). Work involves coordinating complex database design, development, upgrades, maintenance, systems analysis, systems documentation and administration. Works under limited supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of independent judgment.
- Create and maintain databases in Microsoft SQL Server using Structured Query Language, including familiarity with stored procedures, user-defined functions and triggers.
- Design and manage database applications in MS Access.
- Evaluate and review database performance monitoring, implement efficiency improvements, and modifies existing databases and database management systems.
- Produce data definitions, technical specifications and user manuals for automated tools.
- Plan and implement database upgrades, support and maintenance activities.
- Provide on-demand database reports in various output formats.
- Design and manage web-based applications using Microsoft .NET framework using webforms, MVC and .NET Core architecture.
- Lead or participate on team projects using Systems Development Life Cycle processes, leading small projects, gathering requested information, writing, testing, and debugging programs and scripts, and testing and installing software upgrades.
- Develop complex programs in a Microsoft .NET environment using C# programming language utilizing MVC and .NET Core architectures.
- Provide hardware and software support for agency customers.
- Write Perl scripts for data migration and file maintenance projects.
- Coordinate and/or oversee special projects as needed.
- Adhere to established work schedule with regular attendance.
- Follow all THC safety guidelines/procedures and ethics requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS/REQUIREMENTS (The application must specifically state how each of the following qualifications are met):
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in computer science, information technology, management information systems, engineering, business administration, communications or related field;
- Minimum three years’ experience in database programming in a relational database environment, such as SQL Server or Oracle;
- Minimum three years’ programming experience in an ASP.NET environment;
- Experience with C# programming language;
- Required to travel up to 10% of the work period.
- IT experience in a Texas state agency environment;
- Experience participating in system development and support activities, including analyzing business process requirements and analyzing structured data flow;
- Experience in administration and development of queries and scripts using Microsoft SQL Server;
- Experience working with SQL Server Reporting services;
- Experience with JQuery, Perl scripting, Python, and Ajax;
- Experience with MVC and Microsoft .NET Core;
- Experience working with ESRI ArcGIS including Web GIS.
State of Texas application must be submitted through the Work In Texas website at www.workintexas.com. You must have a Work In Texas profile in order to login and complete the application. If you have questions regarding the application process, please contact your local Work in Texas office. Only applicants interviewed will be notified of their selection or non-selection. Resumes will NOT be accepted in place of a completed application. For additional information and for a complete job description, please visit our website at https://www.thc.texas.gov/job-opportunities.Download Job Posting
Posted: March 20, 2020