Texas Water Development Board
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), flexible spending, and flexible work hours so you can have a work/life balance! For more information about these benefits and more visit: http://www.twdb.texas.gov/jobs/benefits.asp
*Only candidates who apply via email to (HR “at” TWDB.texas.gov) with an official State of Texas Application or through the WorkInTexas.com website will be considered for this position. View this position and apply at https://bit.ly/30ydz0p
Job Description Summary
Performs highly complex (senior-level) budget preparation and analysis work. Work involves preparing and maintaining the annual operating budget, analyzing and reviewing budget requests, and preparing the biennial legislative appropriation request. May train others. Works under limited supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of independent judgment. Reports to the Director of the Budget Division.
Essential Job Functions
· Performs analysis and examines trends of budget usage at the program/department level.
· Prepares department-level budgetary and management reports and the preparation of financial statements and reports.
· Reviews financial and operating budget reports for accuracy and identifies areas for more appropriate use of funds.
· Provides technical assistance to staff related to budget and financial matters.
· Maintains listing of budgeted positions for each department and performs monthly salary expenditure analysis.
· Assists in the preparation of major portions of the biennial legislative appropriation requests and operating budgets.
· Assists in developing instructions on budget and funding policies, procedures, and methods.
· Maintains confidential and sensitive information.
· Ensures individual and team files (electronic and hard versions) are appropriately maintained and timely disposed of in accordance with the agency’s records retention procedures and schedule.
· Maintains required certifications and licenses and meets the continuing education needs and requirements of the position to include, attending mandatory training courses.
· May be required to operate a state or personal vehicle for business purposes.
· May train others.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in Accounting, Finance, Business, Public Administration, or related fields.
· Five years of experience in financial management, bookkeeping or budget preparation and analysis.
· Relevant education and experience can be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
· Previous experience with MS Excel software including pivot tables, macros, and complex functions.
· Previous experience with MS Access software.
· Previous experience with leading team projects.
· Previous experience with Automated Budget Evaluation System of Texas (ABEST).
· Experience with state and federal laws.
· Experience in budget preparation and maintenance, financial analysis, review of expenditures, federal funds, and financial reporting.
· Experience in USAS, USPS and MIP/other automated accounting systems.
· Experience performing routine and non-routine work assignments accurately and on-time with little or no supervision.
· Experience in working and cooperating with others in a team environment.
· Experience in development and preparation of Legislative Appropriation Requests and Operating Budget submitted to oversight agencies.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
· Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations relevant to the Budget Division; and of the principles and practices of public administration.
· Knowledge of Uniform Statewide Payroll/Personnel System (USPS), the Automated Budget and Evaluation System of Texas (ABEST), the Uniform Statewide Accounting System (USAS), and accounting systems.
· Knowledge of State of Texas budget reporting requirements, preparing budget requests and accounting principles and practices.
· Skills in using Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, and Access.
· Skills in use of internet, email, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software.
· Skills in identifying errors while taking and/or recommending appropriate corrective actions for resolution.
· Ability to adhere to work schedules, follow procedures with respect to leave and submit accurate timesheets by prescribed deadlines.
· Ability to make mature, objective decisions and identify areas of potential problems.
· Ability to perform effectively and willingly when changes occur in scope and nature of the work and work environment.
· Ability to perform routine and non-routine work assignments accurately and on-time with little or no supervision.
· Ability to prepare a Legislative Appropriations Request and Operating Budget.
· Ability to perform assigned duties and improve work habits and/or output.
· Ability to work and cooperate with others in a team environment.
· Ability to manage multiple tasks.
· Ability to stand/sit/move with no physical limitations or aids to perform activities such as retrieve/replace files in a large file system for boxes up to 30 lbs.
· Ability and willingness to travel 5% of the time, primarily within the State of Texas.
· Ability to operate a vehicle (state or personal) for state business and maintain a driver’s license and driving record that complies with state and agency requirements.
· Ability to work days that may exceed 8 hours, including early mornings, nights, and weekends.
· Ability to analyze, consolidate and interpret data in a complex funding structure.
· Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing.
· Ability to work accurately with numerical details in a high-volume setting.
· Ability to train others.
Please see complete job description at http://www.twdb.texas.gov/jobs/index.aspDownload Job Posting
Posted: June 12, 2020