Employee Retirement System of Texas
|Monthly Salary:||$3,200.00 -$3,634.74||Job Posting Number:||1268|
|Salary Group:||B15- B17||Opening Date:||06/21/2020|
|Class Number:||1014 -1016||Closing Date:||Open Until Closed|
|Position Number:||6011||Number of Openings:||1|
The Employees Retirement System (ERS) supports state employees who have dedicated their career to supporting Texas! The General Accounting and Client Reconciliation team in the Finance Division is seeking an Accountant to perform routine to moderately complex accounting and benefit program assistance work. The Retirement Accountant Analyst is responsible for processing service purchase payments for Service Class, Commissioned Peace Officers/Custodial Officers, Elected State Officials and Judges. The ideal candidate should possess a strong work ethic, the ability to adapt to change and a desire to gain more experience with accounting principles, practices, and procedures.
ERS promotes a strong work-life balance while driving employee excellence through professional development, a collaborative working environment and a competitive benefits package.
Essential Functions includes, but is not limited to:
- Processes all purchase of service transactions. Reconciles payments and refunds of contribution for service purchases including lump sum and/or rollover payments to buy back service.
- Performs manual interest calculations and adjustments. Processes service and contribution adjustments for after tax and before tax contributions. Submits request for corrections to be made in the pension system.
- Researches errors and discrepancies in retirement contribution accounts and reports.
- Prioritizes work to meet and keep daily, weekly, monthly and yearly deadlines; plans daily work assignments and coordinates handling multiple tasks.
- Prepares written correspondence and responds to e-mail and telephone request from members, Benefit Coordinators and Payroll Officers relating to service purchases.
- Evaluates the authenticity of members’ records for service history and verifies service balances. Researches and verifies records through microfilmed history and pension system to determine eligibility for benefits.
- Performs analysis and testing of operational system to enhance system performance. Interacts with other divisional staff to achieve unit goal objectives including ensuring the accuracy of data corrections, including members’ service, social security numbers and other data.
- Works with Information Systems and Financial Systems Support (FSS) sections, to ensure that data fixes and/or corrections to member accounts are correct.
- Updates and reconciles daily and monthly service purchase and retirement contribution data, reviews internal reports using Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Processes the daily funding and weekly extensions for the TexFlex program.
As an Accountant Ill:
- Assist with writing and review of procedures, reviews communication materials, review legislation, and assist with updated to automated systems.
- Processes daily and monthly agency retirement contribution reporting.
- Processes refunds of overpayments of service purchases.
- Reviews internal reports to ensure accuracy of retirement contribution data.
Required Minimum Qualifications: Your application for employment must reflect how you meet each of the following minimum qualifications:
- Graduation from an accredited senior high school or equivalent. (Copy of HS diploma or equivalent may be requested from finalist)
- Two (2) years of experience (for classification level II) to three (3) years of experience (for classification level Ill) in accounting. Each year (30 semester hours) of college credit can substitute for one year of work experience with a maximum substitution of one (1) year.
- One (1) year of experience in the use of spreadsheet and word processing software (e.g., Microsoft Excel and Word).
Preferred Qualifications: Your application for employment should reflect how you meet the following preferred qualifications:
4. Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in accounting, business administration, or finance.
5. Twenty (20) hours of college accounting courses.
6. Experience with PeopleSoft.
7. Accounting experience with a Texas state agency.
8. Experience with the Comptroller of Public Accounts Uniform Statewide Accounting System (USAS).
PLEASE NOTE: All applications must contain complete job histories, which includes job title, dates of employment, name of employer, supervisor’s name and phone number and a description of duties performed. If this information is not submitted, your application may be rejected because it is incomplete. Resumes do not take the place of this required information.
Other Information: Work is performed in an office environment. This position may require access to privileged, confidential, or sensitive data. ERS will conduct either a TXDPS or FBI criminal history check on all new hires. For more information about this policy inquiries can be made to email@example.com.
Military Occupational Specialty Codes:
Veterans, Reservists or Guardsmen with experience in the Military Occupational Specialty (http://www.hr.sao.texas.gov/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_AccountingAuditingandFinance.pdf) along with the minimum qualifications listed above may meet the minimum requirements and are highly encouraged to apply. Please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or for additional information.
How to Apply: Submit a State of Texas Application for Employment with an ERS Qualifications Form & other required materials, if any, to the ERS, Human Resources Office by 5 p.m. CST on the closing date. Resumes will be accepted only as supplements to an application. Please contact a Human Resources representative if you need assistance or require accommodation during the application process.
Email: Employment@ers.texas.gov Web: www.ers.texas.gov
Fax: (512) 867-3161 Relay Texas TDD: (800) 735-2989
Posted: June 21, 2020