Texas Education Agency
Job closes January 5, 2018 5:00 PM Central Time
The Texas Education Agency is seeking a talented, experienced accountant to join a team of professionals committed to improving educational outcomes for all public school students in the state. This position reports to the accounts payable supervisor in the agency’s Accounting Division, which is responsible for the agency’s accounting operations, ensuring timely payments, timely and accurate compliance with state and federal reporting requirements, and maintenance of internal controls to safeguard the agency’s financial data and resources.
The accountant in this position performs highly complex accounting work that requires careful review of contract invoices before payment vouchers are entered into the agency accounting system (TCAPPS). As a member of the accounts payable team, the accountant must be committed to completing assignments within established time frames while maintaining the highest standards of accuracy, ensuring that the team meets its performance goals and supports the agency in fulfilling its strategic priorities. Works under general supervision with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
In addition, the accountant in this position must have a passion for outstanding customer service in order to respond to the needs and expectations of a wide variety of internal and external customers. The accountant is expected to contribute his or her knowledge, independent judgment, initiative, and expertise to build on the team’s objective of continuous improvement.
Additional Military Crosswalk (occupational specialty code) information can be accessed at: http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/JobDescriptions.aspx.
Essential Job Functions:
This position is responsible for the following tasks:
- Audits assigned invoices against contracts and purchase orders within established time frames.
- Obtains proper invoice payment approval from the corresponding program manager.
- Prepares and enters vouchers for payment in the TCAPPS system.
- Prepares expenditure transfer vouchers and other accounts payable–related journal vouchers.
- Works with program divisions and Purchasing area to liquidate PO encumbrance balances in preparation for the division’s required binding encumbrance report to the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts.
- Completes accounts payable functional testing during scheduled TCAPPS upgrades.
Link to Job Posting:
Posted: December 18, 2017