Texas Water Development Board
REPOST - All previous applicants must re-apply to be considered
Apply Via Mail/Hand Delivery: Texas Water Development Board
Stephen F. Austin Building, 1700 North Congress Ave., Room 670, Austin, Texas 78701, via facsimile (512) 463-7644, via email HR@twdb.texas.gov or via Work in Texas (www.workintexas.com).
A State of Texas Application for Employment is required for each position in which you are interested. A resume and cover letter may be attached to the application form as supplemental information.
Applications must be received in the Human Resources Office by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date.
For application instructions, please visit our website at http://www.twdb.texas.gov/jobs/.
Veterans, Reservist or Guardsmen with an MOS or additional duties that fall in the fields of 25B – Information Technology Specialist, 682X – LDO-Information Professional, C4l11 – Information Systems Management or other related fields pertaining to the minimum experience requirements may meet the minimum qualifications for this position and are highly encouraged to apply.
Additional Military Crosswalk information can be accessed at http://www.hr.sao.texas.gov/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_InformationTechnology.pdf
Job Description Summary
Performs complex (journey-level) to highly complex (senior-level) computer programming and software development work. Work involves assisting the project manager in coordinating programming projects, developing and maintaining existing and new internal software and web applications used by TWDB. Planning and analyzing user requirements, procedures and problems to automate processes and to improve existing systems. Analyzing and proposing computer applications and providing technical assistance. Demonstrates superior technical ability to create complex SQL queries, views, and stored procedures. Creates informative and aesthetically pleasing reports in Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services using SQL queries, stored procedures, parameters, grouping, and sub-reports. May train others. Works under general to limited supervision, with moderate to considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Reports to the Manager of the Application Development Department.
Essential Job Functions
- Assists in the identification and scheduling of project deliverables, milestones and required tasks.
- Generates project requirements, provide effort estimates and resource requirements.
- Develops, analyzes, and revises system design procedures, program code, test procedures and quality standards.
- Codes, tests, and debugs computer application programs as outlined by technical and functional requirements.
- Analyzes issues in the system, data, or reports to determine root cause and recommend solutions.
- Designs, develops, tests, deploys, and maintains complex SQL queries, views, stored procedures, and Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services reports.
- Converts systems requirements into functional design documents to develop SSRS reports.
- Coordinates testing and deployment of SSRS reports.
- Oversees and provides guidance in troubleshooting and solving problems related to computer systems, specifically the supporting data and associated reports.
- Uses current software design and development methodologies and techniques to ensure quality and maintainability of applications and systems.
- Prepares unit test plans and test data for the applications being modified or created.
- Develops diagrams and flowcharts to represent operations and data flow for applications.
- Works with systems analyst to create technical documentation for applications.
- Researches and analyzes project proposals and software and system modifications.
- Analyzes proposed computer applications in terms of equipment requirements and capabilities.
- Analyzes, reviews and revises code to increase operating efficiency or to adapt to new procedures.
- Confers with staff members to schedule work and coordinate programming projects.
- Assists in developing standards, best practices and procedures for programming staff.
- Assists in the generation or installation of systems software.
- Uses superior communication skills to build strong partnerships with business area customers to deliver products and services that meet their expectations and needs.
- Develops and implements specialized programs to supplement and enhance systems software.
- May train others.
- Maintains confidential and sensitive information.
- Ensures individual and team files (electronic and hard versions) are appropriately maintained and timely disposed of in accordance with the agency’s records retention procedures and schedule.
- Maintains required certifications and licenses and meets the continuing education needs and requirements of the position to include, attending mandatory training courses.
- May be required to operate a state or personal vehicle for business purposes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in Computer Science, Information Science, Management Information Systems, Information Technology, Geography (GIS-related), or related field.
- Relevant education and experience can be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
- Three years of progressive experience in data management, data development, data analysis, data report development, and data-driven application development.
- Two to four years of experience designing and developing reports using Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services, Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, and Business Intelligence Development Studio.
- Previous experience with Geographic Information Systems and developing / programming GIS web applications.
- Previous experience with Microsoft Team Foundation Services or Visual Studio
- Previous experience with programming in Python.
- Previous experience with Sencha.
- Previous experience working for a State of Texas agency.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations relevant to Information Technology; and of the principles and practices of public administration.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of computer programming and systems analysis.
- Knowledge of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
- Knowledge of relational databases.
- Knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server 2005/2012/2016, including Database Management and Development tools and Reporting Services.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Visual Studio.NET 2008/2010/2012/2015/2017.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Internet Information Services.
- Knowledge of Windows Server 2003/2008/2012/2016.
- Knowledge of MVC and MVVM design patterns and how to implement them.
- Knowledge of Web API and web services.
- Knowledge of Entity Framework.
- Skills in using Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, Power Point, Visio and Access.
- Skills in use of internet, email, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software.
- Skills in computer programming.
- Skills in providing excellent customer service both internally and externally.
- Skills in decision making and problem solving.
- Skills in building cooperative partnerships with and provide services and products to internal and external customers.
- Skills in modifying or developing programs for computer applications.
- Skills in designing, developing, and maintaining SSRS reports.
- Ability to adhere to work schedules, follow procedures with respect to leave and submit accurate timesheets by prescribed deadlines.
- Ability to make mature, objective decisions and identify areas of potential problems.
- Ability to perform effectively and willingly when changes occur in scope and nature of the work and work environment.
- Ability to perform routine and non-routine work assignments accurately and on-time with little or no supervision.
- Ability to perform assigned duties and improve work habits and/or output.
- Ability to complete assigned work, on time, neatly and with infrequent errors.
- Ability to interpret policies, procedures and regulations.
- Ability to provide prompt, courteous and accurate assistance and clear and concise communication to internal and external stakeholders both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work and cooperate with others in a team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to stand/sit/move with no physical limitations or aids to perform activities such as retrieve/replace files in a large file system for boxes up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to operate a vehicle (state or personal) for state business and maintain a driver’s license and driving record that complies with state and agency requirements.
- Ability to work days that may exceed eight hours, including early mornings, nights, and weekends.
- Ability to train others.
- Ability to use VB Script and access databases.
- Ability to develop, analyze and design system requirements and processes.
- Copy of required academic transcripts and/or licensures must be submitted at the time of hire. Failure to provide required documentation will result in no further consideration for employment.
- Important Notice: Otherwise qualified candidates who are ultimately considered for potential employment with the Texas Water Development Board may be the subject of a request for any criminal history record information maintained by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS). Evidence of a criminal conviction or other relevant information obtained from the DPS shall not automatically disqualify an individual from employment with the Texas Water Development Board.
Download Job Posting
Posted: March 09, 2018