Texas Racing Commission
Class No. 1932 – Salary Group B16
Performs complex purchasing and procurement work, including purchasing requisitions, purchase orders, contracts, and property management functions. Work involves preparing, organizing, coordinating, and preparing specifications; preparing procurement documents; overseeing the maintenance of detailed records of items purchased, received, prepared and issued. May train others on purchasing and credit card use and requirements. Complies with reporting requirements in the statewide property accounting system (SPA), complies with state historically underutilized business (HUB) policies and procedures, and complies with state contract reporting requirements to the Legislative Budget Board. Works under general supervision with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Essential Job Functions
- Functions as procurement officer, HUB coordinator and property manager for agency.
- Purchases or oversees the purchasing of supplies and equipment of a highly technical nature for all areas.
- Enters required purchase requisitions, purchase orders and contracts into agency records and into CAPPS (implementing September 2018).
- Posts required purchases to the Electronic State Business Daily.
- Reviews and/or oversees the review of purchase requests for completeness and compliance with applicable requirements prior to processing invitation for bids.
- Makes recommendations for annual contract awards, awards contracts, and suggests additional items to contract.
- Oversees receipt of purchases. Ensures that items delivered are properly received, inspected and delivered to requestor. Returns items that do not meet specifications.
- Submits complaint reports on questionable merchandise.
- Monitors legal and regulatory requirements relating to purchasing.
- Assists in developing, preparing and revising agency purchasing specifications.
- Maintains and oversees perpetual inventory stock.
- Places, maintains, and disposes of surplus property on SPA.
- Prepares, reviews, maintains purchasing and contract reports for LBB, HUB, recycling and SPA as required.
- Maintains required certifications.
- Serves as CPA/TPASS facilities contracting liaison.
Minimum Education and Experience
One or more years of experience in state purchasing, specification development, planning, scheduling, buying and contract administration, and supply operations. Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university preferred. Equivalent work experience may substitute for degree. CTPM or CTP State of Texas certification required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge of purchasing and procurement methods and procedures, of state procurement policies and practices and of supply sources. Ability to perform complex purchases and to maintain a system of record keeping. Ability to maintain effective working relationships with vendors and internal customers and to communicate effectively. General knowledge of historically underutilized business reporting (HUB), statewide property accounting system (SPA) and Legislative Budget Board (LBB) reporting requirements. Understanding of purchasing accounting principles and procedures and budget controls. Ability to complete multiple assignments in a timely manner without compromising accuracy. Attention to detail is required. Experience with the Texas Centralized Accounting and Payroll Personnel System (CAPPS) preferred. Proficient in MS Word and Excel.
Download Job Posting
Posted: May 10, 2018