Texas Military Department
|TO VIEW THE JOB POSTING & APPLY VISIT:
BRIEF POSITION DESCRIPTION:
|Performs complex purchasing work. Work involves purchasing commodities, equipment and services. Plans, organizes, coordinates and prepares bid specifications. Prepares procurement documents and maintains records of items purchased, received, prepared and issued. Reports to the Purchasing Director under general supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
|ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Purchases good and services in accordance with agency and state guidelines and properly documents purchasing files.
- Reviews requisitions for completeness, accuracy and compliance with applicable requirements and rules prior to processing an invitation for bid.
- Process orders in Texas Smartbuy system; researching commodities and services available on state contract.
- Research contracts available through the Department of Information Resources and place orders.
- Monitors legal and regulatory requirements pertaining to purchasing.
- Determines most applicable and cost-effective purchasing method for obtaining goods and services.
- Expedites requisitions as required and researches vendors for products and services.
- Monitors and documents vendor performance.
- Works with the requestors and agency staff to coordinate or resolve purchasing-related issues.
- Reviews and processes assigned requisitions.
- Prepares Invitations for Bid (IFB) and Requests for Offers (RFO).
- Recommends annual contract awards and awards contracts.
- Provides repository for requisitions, purchase orders, contracts and related files.
- Provides data for Texas Industries for the Blind and Handicapped (TIBH) exception reporting.
- Provides data for the various reports including but not limited to Vendor performance, LBB Contracts and HUB bid information.
- Researches vendors for products and services and monitors and documents vendor performance.
- Responds to phone and email requests from requesters and staff related to processing status of requisitions, purchase orders and delivery of goods/services.
- Interacts with requesters concerning delivery, specifications and other matters concerning products from vendors.
- Supports Historically Underutilized Business (HUB) outreach.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from a standard senior high school or equivalent required.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in business, public administration or a related field is preferred.
- Three years experience in procurement of goods and services is required.
- Experience developing spreadsheets using MS Excel and Access is preferred.
REGISTRATION, CERTIFICATION OR LICENSURE:
- Certification as a Certified Texas Purchaser (CTP) is preferred.
- Certification as a Certified Texas Procurement Manager (CTPM) is preferred.
- Valid driver’s license is required. *If not currently a Texas resident, must obtain a Texas Driver’s License within 30 days after entering Texas as a new resident. A satisfactory driving record is required for operating state or personal vehicles to conduct agency business.
- Selected candidate must pass a federal security background investigation. The process includes a National Agency Check and Inquiry (NACI) and fingerprinting. New employees must complete and sign the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Form SF85. Completed forms are submitted to the OPM for the background investigations.
- The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 requires all new employees to present proof of eligibility to work in the United States within three (3) days of being hired. The Texas Military Department participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
- Upon hire with the State of Texas, males between the ages of 18 through 25 must provide proof of registration or exemption with the Selective Service. For further information, visit the Selective Service website at https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfVerification.aspx.
Work is typically performed in a sedentary office setting involving sitting, standing and walking to perform job duties. Work requires extensive use of a personal computer and telephone. This position may periodically require the ability to lift, carry, move and/or set up equipment and materials that weigh up to 25 pounds.
|KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- purchasing methods and procedures;
- purchasing sources, prices, market factors and product characteristics;
- department rules, regulations and policies; and
- laws controlling state purchasing operations;
- communicating verbally in a clearly and concisely manner;
- using a personal computer with Microsoft applications to include Word, Excel and Access; and
- using office equipment such as copies, printers and fax machines.
- plan, prioritize and schedule;
- assemble information, materials into logical order;
- pay attention to detail;
- maintain a system of adequate record keeping;
- prepare reports within required timeline;
- interpret policies, procedures and regulation;
- work effectively as part of a team; and
- establish effective working relationship with supervisor and co-workers.
VETERANS: Use your military skills to qualify for this position or other jobs! Go to www.texasskillstowork.com to translate your military work experience and training courses into civilian job terms, qualifications and skill sets.
Veterans, Reservist or Guardsmen with an MOS or additional duties that fall in the following fields or other related fields pertaining to the minimum experience requirements may meet the minimum qualifications for this position and are highly encouraged to apply:
United States Army – 51 Acquisition, 92 Supply and Services
United States Navy – Logistics
United States Coast Guard – Administrative, Support Services and Scientific, Finance
United States Marine Corps – 30 Supply Administration and Operations
United States Air Force – 6C Acquisition – Contracting, 63 Acquisition – Acquisition
Additional Military Crosswalk information can be accessed at: http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_PropertyManagementandProcurement.pdf
Posted: May 16, 2018