Employees Retirement System of Texas
|Monthly Salary:||$5,150.50 – $5,781.40||Job Posting Number:||1175|
|Salary Group:||B23||Opening Date:||10/10/2018|
|Class Number:||1022||Closing Date:||Open Until Closed|
|Position Number:||6046||Number of Openings:||1|
To apply for positions at the Employees Retirement System of Texas, a State of Texas Application and ERS Qualifications Form are required. To access these forms and for more information on how to apply, visit our career page.
The Employees Retirement System (ERS) supports state employees who have dedicated their career to supporting Texas! ERS mission is to offer competitive benefits to enhance the lives of our members! ERS is seeking a General Ledger (GL) Supervisor to perform advanced financial and accounting work while serving as the Supervisor for the General Ledger Team. Under minimum supervisor of the Assistant Director of Finance with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment, the GL Supervisor assigns, and supervises the work of their team; assists in preparations of the ERS Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR); and ensures timely and accurate reconciliations. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of governmental accounting, thrive in a fast paced environment, be adept to change, and skilled in relationship management.
ERS promotes a strong work-life balance while driving employee excellence through professional development, a collaborative working environment and a competitive benefits package.
Essential Functions include, but is not limited to:
- Coordinates or oversees the coordination of reconciliation of accounts in the General Ledger, bank accounts, and appropriation balances to the Uniform Statewide Accounting System (USAS).
- Supervises the work of the General Ledger Team functions: assigns and monitors work; sets performance standards; conducts employee evaluations, trains or coordinate employee development; and counsels staff regarding work rule violations.
- Oversees the analysis of and review financial data information for funds administrated by ERS.
- Establishes and revise accounting procedures for the General Ledger staff.
- Oversees the coordination of and assists in monthly, quarterly, annual and bi-annual reports in accordance with the guidelines and requirements published by the Comptroller of Public Accounts and oversight agencies including:2. Legislative Appropriations Request (LAR)4. Agency’s Certifications6. Other special internal and external projects and reports as required.
- 5. ABEST/USAS Reconciliations
- 3. Base Reconciliation
- 1. ERS Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR).
- Reviews operating procedures and techniques and makes recommendations for improvement and implementation. Develops policies and procedures in accordance with GAAP and good internal control practices.
- Participates or leads in the functional design development and improvement of financial systems and applications. Consult with Information Technology staff for impact, training and delivery of financial systems.
- Coordinates general ledger activities and respond to routine or adhoc requests with ERS divisions, the State Comptroller and external auditors.
- Remains current on generally accepted accounting principles as promulgated by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board.
- Keeps abreast of legislative changes that affect management of ERS funds.
Required Minimum Qualifications: Your application for employment must reflect how you meet each of the following minimum qualifications:
- Graduation from an accredited senior high school or equivalent.
- Six (6) years of full-time advanced accounting, financial analysis, or related experience requiring compilation, reconciliation and /or analysis of detailed financial information. Each year (30 semester hours) of college credit can substitute for one year of work experience with a maximum substitution of four years.
- Two (2) years’ experience in the use of spreadsheet and word processing software (e.g., Microsoft Excel and Word) to include pivot tables, vlookup, mail merge and other advanced functions.
- Two (2) years’ experience in preparing related schedules, reports and working papers (e.g., Annual Financial Report, General Revenue Certification, Agency Financial System/USAS Reconciliations, Certification of SPA Fiscal Balances, USAS and Interagency Activity Certification, Annual Agency Debt Report and Employee Benefit reports).
- Two (2) years’ experience serving as a supervisor and/or team leader.
Preferred Qualifications: Your application for employment should reflect how you meet the following preferred qualifications:
6. Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with 20 hours of major course work in accounting, business administration, finance, or a related field.
7. Experience with PeopleSoft Financials.
8. Experience maintaining an accounting system (e.g., chart of accounts, profiles, batch jobs, report development).
9. Progressively responsible accounting experience with a state agency.
10. Experience with the Comptroller of Public Accounts Uniform Statewide Accounting System (USAS).
11. Accounting experience with pension and/or group benefit plans.
Other Information: Work is performed in an office environment. This position may require access to privileged, confidential, or sensitive data. ERS will conduct either a TXDPS or FBI criminal history check on all new hires. For more information about this policy inquiries can be made to email@example.com.
Military Occupational Specialty Codes:
Veterans, Reservists or Guardsmen with experience in the Military Occupational Specialty Codes (http://www.hr.sao.texas.gov/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_AccountingAuditingandFinance.pdf) along with the minimum qualifications listed above may meet the minimum requirements and are highly encouraged to apply. Please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or for additional information.
How to Apply: Submit a State of Texas Application for Employment with an ERS Qualifications Form & other required materials, if any, to the ERS, Human Resources Office by 5 p.m. CST on the closing date. Resumes will be accepted only as supplements to an application. Please contact a Human Resources representative if you need assistance or require accommodation during the application process.
Fax: (512) 867-3161 Relay Texas TDD: (800) 735-2989
Posted: October 10, 2018