Employees Retirement System of Texas
Monthly Salary: $6,250 – $7,250
Opening Date: 11/01/2019
The Employees Retirement System (ERS) supports state employees who have dedicated their career to supporting Texas! The Budget team in our Finance Division is seeking an experienced Budget Manager who takes initiative to prevent and solve problems. The Budget Manager performs senior-level managerial work administering the daily activities of the agency’s budget function. Work involves establishing goals and objectives, developing guidelines, procedures, polices, rules and regulations; developing schedules, priorities, and standards for achieving established goals; coordinating and evaluating department activities; evaluating budget requests, and monitoring budget expenditures. The ideal candidate should possess strong analytical skills, strong work ethic, as well as the ability to adapt to change.
Essential Functions includes, but is not limited to:
- Oversees, develops and coordinates the agency’s annual operating budget and analyzes budget for expenditures and encumbrances to provide the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) with trend data and recommendations.
- Supervises, assigns, and monitors the work of Budget Analysts; sets performance standards; conduct employee evaluations; trains or coordinate staff development; and counsel’s staff regarding work rule violations.
- Oversees the development of methodologies and techniques for analyzing the operating budget including forecasting.
- Examines the operating budget for completeness, accuracy and conformance with policies, procedures and methods.
- Informs CFO of budget deviations, problems and events likely to impact operations
- Oversees the analysis of or analyzes fiscal management information, determine appropriate use of funds, perform statistical analyses, develop budgetary reports and schedules, and develop and communicate solutions.
- Oversees budget staff duties associated with the administration and maintenance of the agency’s timekeeping system, Clarity, to assure accurate allocation of costs to the agency’s funds; coordinates with Enterprise Planning Office (EPO) and Information Systems (IS) on upgrades and/or replacement to Clarity to ensure the integrity and efficiency of cost allocations.
- Responds to operating budgetary inquires appropriately from internal sources.
- Oversees the development and update of and issues instructions on budget policies, procedures, and methods.
- Communicates effectively and respectfully with co-workers and customers to gain an understanding of the business and budgetary needs.
- Collaborates with procurement and other sections within Finance to improve efficiencies including appropriate chart of accounts structure, and mapping of objects of expense to budget category.
Required Minimum Qualifications: Your application for employment must reflect how you meet each of the following minimum qualifications:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in accounting, finance, business, public administration, or a related field. Each year of related experience over the required may be substituted for one year (30 semester hours) of required college credit.
- Three (3) years of supervisory and/or team lead experience.
- Five (5) years of progressive experience performing state agency accounting work.
- Three (3) years of experience performing state agency budget preparation and analysis work.
Preferred Qualifications: Your application for employment should reflect how you meet the following preferred qualifications:
5. Experience in implementation or assisting in developing databases and/or automated financials.
6. Experience in development or maintenance of charts of accounts, general ledger accounting and financial reporting.
7. Experience with cost allocation.
PLEASE NOTE: All applications must contain complete job histories, which includes job title, dates of employment, name of employer, supervisor’s name and phone number and a description of duties performed. If this information is not submitted, your application may be rejected because it is incomplete. Resumes do not take the place of this required information.
Other Information: Work is performed in an office environment. This position may require access to privileged, confidential, or sensitive data. ERS will conduct either a TXDPS or FBI criminal history check on all new hires. For more information about this policy inquiries can be made to email@example.com.
Military Occupational Specialty Codes:
Veterans, Reservists or Guardsmen with experience in the Military Occupational Specialty (http://www.hr.sao.texas.gov/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_ProgramManagement.pdf) along with the minimum qualifications listed above may meet the minimum requirements and are highly encouraged to apply. Please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or for additional information.
How to Apply: Submit a State of Texas Application for Employment with an ERS Qualifications Form & other required materials, if any, to the ERS, Human Resources Office by 5 p.m. CST on the closing date. Resumes will be accepted only as supplements to an application. Please contact a Human Resources representative if you need assistance or require accommodation during the application process.
Email: Employment@ers.texas.gov Web: www.ers.texas.gov
Fax: (512) 867-3161 Relay Texas TDD: (800) 735-2989
Posted: January 24, 2020