Texas Water Development Board
*Only Candidates who apply via email to (HR”at”TWDB.texas.gov) with and official State of Texas Application or through the WorkInTexas.com website will be considered for this position. View this position and apply at https://bit.ly/38ltnoi
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), flexible spending, and flexible work hours so you can have a work/life balance! For more information about these benefits and more visit: http://www.twdb.texas.gov/jobs/benefits.asp
Job Description Summary
Performs advanced (senior-level) database administration work. Work involves providing direction and guidance in database administration operations, planning, developing, maintaining, and monitoring integrated database systems; developing and implementing database policies and procedures; maintaining and verifying data integrity; providing for the efficient and effective storage, retrieval, customization, and archiving of data to ensure integrated database systems. May train and/or supervise the work of others. Works under minimal supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Reports to the Manager of the Information Technology (IT) Operations Department.
Essential Job Functions
- Plans, coordinates, and supports the installation of database software and migrations to new data management system software levels and tests the migrations to ensure data reliability and functionality.
- Coordinates and provides application and database operations triage support to troubleshoot and resolve functional and performance issues encountered in production, development, and test environments.
- Provides advanced database development and oversees and/or modifies and maintains database structures.
- Performs logical and physical data modeling, evaluates relational database models, and reviews physical data models created from logical data models.
- Performs database performance monitoring and implements efficiency improvements.
- Designs, recommends, and implements procedures necessary to save, retrieve, and recover databases from hardware and software failures.
- Assists with capacity planning and monitoring.
- Performs data migrations, load, and/or updates.
- Modifies existing databases and database management systems.
- Develops and reviews standards, guidelines, and policies designed to ensure the integrity of the database environment.
- Develops goals and objectives for the use and improvement of an efficient and cost-effective database system.
- Maintains data standards; prepares and develops database documentation, procedures, and definitions for data dictionaries.
- Recommends and implements database security standards and controls, and user access levels.
- Evaluates and recommends database software packages for potential acquisition.
- Performs Quality Control Tests from the Labor (Time) Table.
- Maintains confidential and sensitive information.
- Ensures individual and team files (electronic and hard versions) are appropriately maintained and timely disposed of in accordance with the agency’s records retention procedures and schedule.
- Maintains required certifications and licenses and meets the continuing education needs and requirements of the position to include, attending mandatory training courses.
- May be required to operate a state or personal vehicle for business purposes.
- May supervise the work of others.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in Computer Science, Information Science, Information Technology or related fields.
- Five to seven years of database administration experience with Microsoft SQL Server 2005/2008/2012/2016/2017.
- Relevant education and experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
- Previous experience with SQL Server Reporting Services and Integration Services.
- Previous experience with Database Management and Development tools.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations relevant to Database Administration team; and of the principles and practices of public administration.
- Knowledge of Windows Server 2003/2008/2012/2016.
- Knowledge of database concepts (table design, relationships, indexing strategies and normalization), backup and recovery, and maintenance plans.
- Knowledge of SQL Server Reporting Services and Integration Services.
- Knowledge of project management and software development lifecycle.
- Skills in using Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, and Access.
- Skills in use of internet, email, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software.
- Skills in constructing stored procedures.
- Skills in understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Skills in negotiating and facilitating work-related interaction with professionals in order to achieve goals and objectives.
- Ability to adhere to work schedules, follow procedures with respect to leave and submit accurate timesheets by prescribed deadlines.
- Ability to make mature, objective decisions and identify areas of potential problems.
- Ability to perform effectively and willingly when changes occur in scope and nature of the work and work environment.
- Ability to perform routine and non-routine work assignments accurately and on-time with little or no supervision.
- Ability to perform assigned duties and improve work habits and/or output.
- Ability to complete assigned work, on time, neatly and with infrequent errors.
- Ability to interpret policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Ability to provide prompt, courteous and accurate assistance and clear and concise communication to internal and external stakeholders both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work and cooperate with others in a team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to stand/sit/move with no physical limitations or aids to perform activities such as retrieve/replace files in a large file system for boxes up to 30 lbs.
- Ability and willingness to travel 5% of the time, primarily within the State of Texas.
- Ability to operate a vehicle (state or personal) for state business and maintain a drivers license and driving record that complies with state and agency requirements.
- Ability to work days that may exceed 8 hours, including early mornings, nights, and weekends.
- Ability to train others.
Please see complete job description at http://www.twdb.texas.gov/jobs/index.asp
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $6,667.00 to $7,500.00 /month
Posted: February 13, 2020