Texas Historical Commission
Monitor and analyze the budget, state and federal grants/contracts, expenditures and revenues of the Texas Historical Commission (THC). Prepare budgets and reports to contribute to the accurate and appropriate development and oversight of the agency’s overall budget, grants/contracts, revenues and expenditures functions. Work under minimal supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Prepare and maintain internal operating budgets for assigned THC divisions in the Centralized Accounting and Payroll/Personnel System (CAPPS).
- Reconcile USAS budgets with CAPPS.
- Monitor and analyze budgets, expenditures and encumbrances in order to identify problems.
- Prepare budget amendments as necessary and advise program staff, division management and upper management on the status of agency budgets.
- Prepare monthly budget reports, financial statement reports for assigned THC divisions; answer questions pertaining to the reports and investigate discrepancies and initiate re-coding of vouchers for general accounting as necessary.
- Advise and assist managers on how to utilize funds and reach program objectives.
- Work with finance and other areas of the agency to ensure accuracy of expenditures, revenue data and reporting documentation.
- Monitor and analyze the performance measures. Prepare quarterly and annual reports on these measures.
- Prepare fiscal information on proposed projects, procurements and legislation, as it relates to the state and THC.
- Monitor and report on hearings of legislative committees, such as the House Appropriations and Senate Finance Committees, during both regular and special sessions for actions that have or potentially have an impact on THC operations; assist in preparing the Strategic Plan; assist in preparing Legislative Appropriations Requests for upcoming biennia and entering reports on the Automated Budget and Evaluation System of Texas (ABEST).
- Conduct training for office managers, division directors and executive staff on CAPPS budget processes and procedures.
- Assist with the agency’s full-time equivalent state employee quarterly report.
- Assist in developing and maintaining budget policies, procedures and automated processes.
- Assist with reconciliation of expenditure and Method of Finance data in ABEST to the Uniform Statewide Accounting System (USAS) and CAPPS.
- Assist with CAPPS Helpdesk functions.
- Assist with coding and validating information on agency’s purchase vouchers from a budget standpoint.
- Plan, develop, review, revise and implement Staff Services Division policies and procedures.
- Develop solutions to problems with procedures and/or applications of policy and communicate this with management, as appropriate.
- Participate in Staff Services Division planning and policy-making.
- Adhere to established work schedule with regular attendance.
- Follow all THC safety guidelines/procedures and ethics requirements.
- Assist with general office duties, such as answering telephone calls, making photocopies and binding reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS/REQUIREMENTS (The application must specifically state how each of the following qualifications are met):
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in accounting, finance, business or closely related field;
- Minimum three years’ work experience in complex budget preparation and analyses and/or accounting;
- Experience presenting budget information and instructions to staff at all levels in small and large group settings;
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills, including use of formulas and pivot tables;
- Valid Texas driver’s license, acceptable driving record and ability to drive a state vehicle; and
- Required to travel up to 5% of the work period.
- Experience using ABEST, USAS and CAPPS;
- Work experience developing program and/or agency-wide operating budgets, grants preparation and analysis procedures for a government agency; or
- Experience in budget and/or accounting in a Texas state agency.
Posted: February 14, 2020